Thursday, July 11, 2013

When the Monsoon casts a spell


And the rains have come to wash us clean. Refresh us, invigorate us, pour new life into every twig and leaf and parched being.
Oh, Monsoon ... how I do love you!

All the Gulmohurs are soaked and drenched. Fiery Summer meets Cool, Wet Monsoon. Shimmering drops cling to feathery leaves and scorching petals. Such an incredibly beautiful combination!

And every outdoor surface, whether stone or brick or earth or clay, suddenly remembers tales of delicate ferns of yore. And my sterile stone walls and every rock and tiny pebble around forgets the hot, scorching Summer days...

... and suddenly transforms into a shaded moist woodland! Gone is the parched, baked, blistering-hot earth . Now I live in a primeval jungle, complete with an explosion of waving maidenhair ferns and the creek! of hidden creatures.
Who is to say just what wonders lurk under those arching fern fronds?


This is one of the monsoon wonders in my garden which always leaves me gasping at the sheer unexpected beauty of it. 
Native to our land, it wasn't planted here. It just shows up every monsoon. Like a hostess gift brought by the Monsoons.

So alike, yet so different from the Aromatic Turmeric which I have planted here. It blooms in Summer, giving me a foretaste of the beauty awaiting me in the Monsoon when the Wild Curcumas come into their own.

And, the Carambola is still in bloom! I love its clusters of tiny bubblegum-pink flowers.

So do all the bees and other pollinators, I think.

Another native, the wild Ixora is blooming its head off.

And when the flowers fall off, it's still a pretty sight!

As are all the plants in my garden. De-petaled, or mud-coated or wind-torn they may be but they love the Monsoons. As do I (can you tell?) .


Some more Monsoon links for you  ( I know, the monsoon inspires me like no other season!)  : 
       Monsoon!

20 comments:

  1. How nature responds to the monsoons! Your plants are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I must have plant DNA too. I can feel myself getting happier when the monsoons are here :)

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful that you love the monsoons. You put a new light on it for me through the beauty of your garden. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the monsoon season, Joyful. It is our most life-affirming season! We would be so lost without it.

      Delete
  3. Those Cucurmas are stunning, the rain changes everything in the garden. I love the colours and excellent photography Sunita, you do truly have a talent for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen! You do say the nicest things :)
      I love the Curcumas. Especially because they're suh a natural part of my garden.

      Delete
  4. Whenever I hear the word monsoon, the film "Monsoon Wedding" always comes to mind. Wonderful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! And there is just as much drama and colour in the monsoon gardens too :)

      Delete
  5. I like the word "moonson". Puerto Rico falls under the "Marine Tropical weather" zone, so I imagine the "tropical moonson" to be a totally different experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria. The word monsoon is apparently derived from the Arab word "mausim" meaning season. It is a beautiful season, especially in the smaller towns but in the city it may be difficult for commuters to appreciate it as I do :D
      Marine tropical sounds intriguing! I wonder how different is ... we should travel and find out, don't you think? ;D

      Delete
  6. Beautiful words and stunning photographs to feast our eyes and minds on. Thanks, Sunita.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos of the bees. Luckily here in Australia we have not seen much of a decline in bees compared to other places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! One of the advantages of being cut off from other countries has to be that viruses and diseases won't find their way there easily. I hope Australia remains lucky where the bees are concerned.

      Delete
  8. Awesome .. beatiful pics!!
    Love the maiden hair fern! .. can i grow it in a pot?
    The Curcumas are stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Priya. Oh you should just see the ferns growing on my walls ... ooofff! Amazing! And with no effort from me :)
      Yes, of course you can grow ferns in a pot. Just keep it in a shaded spot and keep it moist. They dont like dry hot conditions much. Other ferns can tolerate it a bit but not the maidenhair fern.

      Delete
  9. I do completely agree with you, after a long dry period, rai is the magic word. Love your pictures, each one is so special, how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Trudi! It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed my pics :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Trudi! It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed my pics :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much, Trudi! It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed my pics :)

      Delete

Hi, hope you enjoyed reading this post? Tell me what you think about this post; I love hearing from you.
But please note ... if there's a link in the comment, it will not be approved for publishing (sorry, but I'm getting way too much spam with links).